Sunday, January 18, 2015

Another request from my favorite daughter!

I am always so thrilled when people say exactly what they want when requesting that I make them something.  My daughter did just that!  She is an avid reader and a total cat lover, so, she found the perfect fabric in my stash, and requested a purse.  As most of you know, I don't use patterns, so I set out to make exactly what she asked for.


The bag ended up pretty straight forward.  I wanted to do straight line quilting, so I used painters tape to mark off the line to get started.  Easy-peasy!


I used woven belting for the handles.  I made them slant in to the center just a bit.  If you do this, there isn't the gap in the middle when you hold it by the handles or over your shoulder.  I started off at 2 1/2 in. in from the bottom and ended up at 3 1/2 in. in from the top corner.     I stopped sewing about 2 1/2in. from the top of the bag.


I do love my Clover Wonder Clips!


These are bits and pieces of upholstery fabrics samples that I received last year.  It measures approx. 15 x 14 x 4.  She carries several books at a time in her purses.


She picked out the lining as well.  She wanted a full width zipper pocket with two good sized pleated slit pockets and no closure at the top.


This brown fabric feels like leather!  Soft and squishy.  She requested no purse feet.


A side view.  She loves it and uses it all of the time!

9 comments:

ipatchandquilt said...

Good or ing Vicki!
What a ful bag! PURR-fect for books!
Esther

Amy at love made my home said...

How wonderful that you could make something entirely to her personal specifications! It is beautiful! xx

Susan said...

You really impress me Vicki, with how you are able to make such beautiful bags without a pattern! I think you have missed your calling- a bag pattern writer!

Michele said...

Wow. That is fantastic.

Jeanie said...

As another cat lover, I can say that this is just the purrfect bag! Wonderful job, as usual, Vicki!

legato1958 said...

Love your bag for your daughter! It's a purrrfect fit for her! My daughter puts in her requests too... and also loves cats and to read!
Susie

Kathy S. said...

It's purrfect! I learned something new about purse handles. Nicely done.

lesh Stgermain said...

There was a time that I kept knitting bags like this. But I LOVE the print of the fabric here. Hope your doctors soon can find out the treatment you need! Even in absentia of blogging, wishing you call the best, Jesh

JOY said...

What a great bag to take to the library! Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...