Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Finished It Up Friday - Zipper Pouch!!!

I have been seeing zipper pouches on so many blogs, and knew I needed one for myself.  I don't have a pattern, and wanted to see if I could get one made before my Bee date. Sooooo.....

.....I grabbed a zipper that I already had, some 2 1/2 in squares I already had and set out on a pouch adventure!  I started chain piecing until there were 9 in each row.  Now, how wide do we need it?
I pressed the strips and lined them up.  I laid my dress maker scissor across, and that was what I wanted!!  Now for the inside.....

I really like pockets, so I knew I would need several.  I laid out the lining fabric right side up.  Took two scraps and folded them in 1/2.  They would work!!  I sewed them into a tube, turned, pressed and top stitched.  With the two layers, it is much more sturdy.  The pink side has 2 pockets, and the blue side has 3 pockets.  You have to make sure to sew the pockets in before sewing in the lining.

I quilted these 2 1/2 in squares in a simple grid pattern.  It was really fast and simple.  Once all of the quilting is done, Lay the lining down with pockets facing up.  Then you lay the pouch front side down onto the lining.  Cut all layers together and pin.

 
I had enough strips to make a nippers holder and a dress maker scissor holder!  I Still need to come up with a couple more pouches and holders.
 
With her big mouth, it is easy to grab what you need for your project.  She has 5 pockets on the inside.  The zipper was to short, but I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt.
 
I can no longer say that I have not made a zippered pouch!  I have several more that need to be done, but it was great fun making these.  Mr Frog liked it so much, his eyes nearly bugged out of his head!
 
The finished zippered pouch measures 11.5 W x 8 L x 4D.  If you needed it to be a bit stiffer, you could use iron on med weight interfacing.  I used Warm & White batting.  It would be really easy to add outside pockets and handles.
 
Linking back to A Lovely Year of Finishes at Bittersweet Designs..  Thank you for letting me be part of your party!
 
Let's link my FINISH IT UP FRIDAY piece to Crazy Mom Quilts!   I want to thank Crazy Mom Quilts for inviting me on to this link up to share my finishes.  Everyone, be prepared to be amazed!!  There are so many wonderful finished projects to learn from.
 
Also, the Let's Get Acquainted - New Bloggers Blog Hop is continuing.  June has been so instrumental in getting all of us to out to play!!  Here is a schedule, but don't stop with today's introductions, read them all.
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

super cute zipper pouch!! I tell you, I still haven't gotten up the courage to try something with a zipper. :)

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Paula said...

Really great! I love that the scissors have their own little pouch before being dropped into the bag.

Lorna McMahon said...

That is such a pretty pouch! Love all the colours! And you are sew sweet to give the lovely shout outs to all the Blog Hoppers. Glad to know you, Vicki!

Deborah said...

Fabulous projects!! Loved seeing them in person!

OPQuilt said...

Hey, bravo!! Your pouch is really cute and I love the bright colors. Also like your blog redesign--fun to see the progress as you become more comfortable with this medium. And of course, it's always fun to see your quilts!

Elizabeth E.
opquilt.com

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a lovely pouch!

Trepmom said...

Very nice, Vicki. The colors are great. I like the accessories too. Very clever! :) now you will just
have to make that tote to carry it all!

Kim said...

I love your pouch Vicki....'tis dancing with colour!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...